The recent approval of first RNAi therapeutic, ONPATTROTM, has caused a surge in interest of the industry / non-industry players in upcoming field of pharmacological research
Roots Analysis has announced the addition of “RNAi Therapeutics Market, 2021-2030” report to its list of offerings.
The concept of RNA interference (RNAi) was identified in the 1980s. It is based on the selective silencing of specific sequences of mRNA, thereby, inhibiting the ability to translate into disease causing proteins.
Significant advancements in the developmental pipeline across various oncological disorders, infectious diseases and genetic disorders have amplified the interest of various pharmaceutical establishments and have inspired research groups across the world, to focus their efforts on the development of RNAi therapeutics. Further, there are multiple pipeline candidates in mid to late-stage (phase II and above) trials and are anticipated to enter the market over the next 5-10 years.
Key Market Insights
Over 170 RNAi therapeutics are currently under development
Nearly 30% of pipeline drugs are in the clinical phase, while the rest are either in the preclinical / discovery stage. The majority of pipeline drug candidates are delivered using siRNA conjugated delivery technology platform to mitigate targeted delivery to organ / cell.
More than 70% of ongoing clinical trials are being conducted in North America and Europe
In total, we came across over 100 clinical trials that have been / are being conducted across the globe. It is worth noting that around 40% of these trials were observed to be phase II studies. Further, 75% of the active clinical trials being conducted in this domain are evaluating siRNAs.
Over 36,000 patents were filed / granted related to RNAi therapeutics since 2014
Majority of these were patent applications (59%), followed by granted patents (40%). It is worth highlighting that both industry and non-industry players are actively involved in this domain. However, majority of the patents related to RNAi therapeutics were filed / granted by industry players (58%).
USD 5.4+ billion invested by both private and public investors, since 2014
Around USD 3 billion was raised through secondary offerings, representing more than 50% of the total capital raised by industry players till July 2019. Further, there have been five instances of debt financing, accounting for more than USD 844 million in financing of RNAi therapeutics related initiatives.
Around 65 partnerships were inked since 2014
Maximum number of deals were reported in 2018. Around 30% of the deals were related to the R&D agreements; this was followed by technology licensing agreements (27%).
RNAi therapeutics market is anticipated to increase at a CAGR of over 45% between 2019-2030
This growth is anticipated to be primarily driven by the target specificity of the drug candidates. North America (primarily the US) are expected to capture the majority share by 2030.
The USD 10 billion (by 2030) financial opportunity within the RNAi therapeutics market has been analyzed across the following segments:
Key therapeutic areas
- Oncological disorders
- Infectious diseases
- Genetic disorders
- Ophthalmic disorders
- Hepatic disorders
- Respiratory disorders
Type of RNAi molecule
Route of administration
Key geographical regions
Asia Pacific and the Rest of the World
Scope of the Report
- A detailed overview of the players engaged in the development of RNAi therapeutics, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of establishment, company size, location of headquarters and regional landscape.
- A competitiveness analysis of RNAi therapeutic developers, based on developer strength (in terms of employee count and years of experience) and product portfolio strength (in terms of number of RNAi molecules across different phases of development, type of RNAi molecule offered, purpose of technology and target therapeutic area).
- Elaborate profiles of drug candidates that are in the advanced stages of development (phase II / III and above). Each drug profile features information on the current development status of the drug, along with details on its developer, mechanism of action, route of administration, affiliated technology Platform (if available), dosage and recent clinical trial results.
- An overview of the current market landscape of technology platforms available for the development of RNAi therapeutics, along with information on their developer, purpose of technology, type of molecule (s) delivered and type of cell (s) / tissue (s) targeted. In addition, the chapter includes information on technology developer(s), highlighting the year of their establishment, company size and location of headquarters. The chapter also includes brief profiles of key RNAi-based drug discovery / development technology platforms and drug delivery technologies (shortlisted on the basis of competitiveness score). Each profile features details on the various pipeline molecules that have been / are being developed using the technology and insights from patents associated with the technology.
- An insightful technology competitiveness analysis, benchmarking RNAi technologies, based on supplier power (in terms of company size and years of experience) and key technology specifications. The analysis was designed to enable stakeholder companies to compare their existing capabilities within and beyond their respective peer groups and identify opportunities to achieve a competitive edge in the industry.
- A detailed analysis of the target indications (segregated by various therapeutic areas, including oncological disorders, infectious diseases, metabolic disorders, ophthalmic diseases and genetic disorders) that are currently the prime focus of companies engaged in the development of RNAi therapeutics.
- An analysis of completed, ongoing and planned clinical studies, based on several relevant parameters, such as trial registration year, current status, phase of development, type of RNAi molecule, enrolled patient population and regional distribution of trials.
- An analysis highlighting the key opinion leaders (KOLs) in this domain. It features a 2X2 analysis to assess the relative experience of certain KOLs who were shortlisted based on their contributions (in terms of involvement in various clinical studies) in this field.
- An in-depth analysis of patents related to RNAi therapeutics, filed / granted, since 2016, based on type of patent (granted patents, patent applications and others), publication year, regional applicability, CPC symbols, emerging focus areas, leading industry / non-industry players (in terms of the number of patents filed / granted), and patent valuation.
- A detailed review of around 3,000 peer-reviewed, scientific articles related to research on RNAi therapeutics, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of publication, type of publication, popular keywords, top journals, top publishers, key copyright holders and key funding institutes.